Sunday, November 1, 2009

The Perfect Pumpkin...Smashed

So in the previous post I wrote about our trip to the pumpkin patch a couple of weeks ago and how we picked our perfect pumpkin...it really wasn't that perfect. It was half green and half orange...but it had a great stem! Anyway, the next day I picked up the pumpkin to put it out on our porch next to the cute little hay bail we bought at the farm where we got our pumpkin. The bottom of the pumpkin was a little soft...rotting obviously...I forgot to mention that the pumpkins were 40 cents a pound. Our pumpkin was 22 lbs, so we paid almost $9 for it...so I got the pumpkin out the door and as I was placing it on our cute little hay bale that "perfect" 22 pounder slipped out of my arms, rolled down all of our porch steps, spilling pumpkin guts and seeds along the way, then finally landing on top of the storm drain in the street. Smashed. All I could do was stand there and watch it all happen in slow motion with the "great stem" left in my hand. I just stood there staring at my smashed pumpkin and couldn't believe what had just happened. I sighed, started laughing a little, then looked up to notice that some worker was sitting in his truck parked in front of our townhome had watched the whole thing...kind of embarrassing, but totally hilarious to watch I am sure! I am still laughing about it!
Yep, there's the truck with the guy in it who saw the whole thing...probably recorded it with his cell phone and posted it on youtube


I might as well have thrown $9 down that storm drain



11 comments:

The Mursets said...

Oh NO! When I first started reading this, I thought some punk kids came and ruined your display! Way to just laugh about it.

Jessica A said...

This actually made me laugh out loud! I think its the bits of pumpkin that make a perfect trail down the lawn, and the man watching that did it.

Melissa Hernandez said...

I will be honest, this post made me giggle out loud, only because I could picture the whole thing in slow motion!

Eric and Hilary said...

haha poor perfect pumpkin. i wish i was the worker watching it happen. lol we have the same picture of sierra in the brad's sign. at least you got to take victoria out in the wagon to pick one. by the time we went they were all just lined up in front of a shed. so our pictures are not so lovely. oh well. hopefully next year wont be so rainy!

Alison said...

This is funny Kristal! Sorry about your $9 perfect pumpkin getting smashed. I love Victoria's costume. I have to admit I saw her picture and suddenly became excited that Annaliese wanted to be a witch. Thanks for the inspiration! =)

Megan and Jonny said...

I was waiting for this post all day! I'm so glad you took pictures--the things we do for a good blog post!

I have some cute pictures of Victoria from Halloween to pass on. Thanks again for letting us crash your family party!

Heidi said...

Could you and your cute little family just move to Alabama Land?! ... because we miss you! :)

Mom/Grandma W. said...

I LOVE that the pumpkin had a GREAT stem.....I did good!! That's really the best part of the pumpkin!!!! The story is hilarious...one of those that you have to laugh to keep from crying!! Have you checked YouTube??? :) The guy in the truck is probably still talking about it. If he hadn't been laughing so hard, he probably would have gotten out of his truck to help.....Read Marie Osmond's book-Might as Well Laugh About It Now......your story would have been a perfect entry :)

Rose said...

I can picture it now. The smell of a pumkin spice candle warming the kitchen. Sugar cookies in the oven. Victoria playing with her toys in front of baby einstein. All done decorating your new home with festive decor. The wreath is hung. Last but not least, you add the finishing touch. The perfect pumpkin. You can't wait!! I can see the sparkle in your eye, that only a sister would know, and then it happens.....PUMPKIN SMASHER!...gulp...you hope no one saw. (I just wrote apost about your post) Love you.

Emily M said...

That is hilarious!! I also laughed out loud as I read it. I love that there was the guy in the truck that saw the whole thing. At least you got to keep the stem. :)

Maria said...

That is Awesome!
Looks like you guys had fun at the pumpkin patch. Love Victorias costume! Way to go MOM!!