Sunday, August 15, 2010

Feelin' Kinda Crabby

We LOVE Maryland Crabs! We first tried them when my parents came out for a visit and I have been craving them ever since! So I was pretty excited when Shawn called me from work the other day and told me we were having crabs for dinner! One of his supervisors at work goes out crabbing and brought Shawn some left overs (a dozen) that she had steamed up and seasoned with Old Bay. Thank you Kathy! We had our own little crab feast. They were delish, and I am starting to crave them again...

How to catch a crab:
 1. String chicken necks on a rope. 
2. Let rope sit in the water for awhile.
3. Pull up rope and see the crabs clinching the chicken necks. Collect your crabs.



How to eat a crab: You have to work for the crab meat. First you need the paper to cover the table, next, a mallet and The Knife. After some hitting and cracking and pulling apart you get to savor that oh-so-yummy grab meat in the claws, legs and body. Caution: avoid eating the lungs and the mustard looking stuff (sick). 




Victoria likes to hit the crabs.



Poor little guy...he was actually pretty big...and pretty darn tasty!






The next week, Kathy (the same lady who gave us the blue crabs) brought Shawn some soft shell crabs for us to try (yes, they all love Shawn at work. He is for sure a favorite. They even threw him a little surprise party a couple of days ago for the new baby. A party complete with cake and gifts; a cute handmade baby blanket and $200 cash from everyone in the office. SO sweet of them!) Back to the soft shell crabs...everyone says they are "REALLY good"...
Definitely not the words we would use to describe them. I almost threw up! They tasted pretty fishy/dirty water like...a familiar taste...like our tap water. Great. So now I am wondering if our tap water is coming from the Chesapeake Bay..? (we buy our drinking water) But our tap water is the kind that you can smell a little bit (a little like the water in Texarkana...) so every time I went to wash the dishes, brush my teeth, take a shower...I was reminded of these little beasts...



Shawn preparing to fry the crabs. These are soft shell crabs so you cover them in flour and Old Bay seasoning and fry up the whole thing (after it's been cleaned out).


Frying the crabs....they don't look that bad, right? maybe they were old, or we just did it wrong and that's why they didn't taste that great...I don't know. 


Then you place the crab on a sandwich with mayo and tomatoes. Then eat it. I think that was part of the problem. Seeing a whole crab laying in the middle of my sandwich was just not that appetizing. You should have seen Shawn's face when he took his first bite! Pretty funny! He didn't know what to think.
Maybe we'll go out somewhere and give them a second try. Or maybe not.

After the soft shell crabs, we were all crabbed out for awhile. So we headed to the Maryland State BBQ Bash!


Smoked turkey leg and chopped pork barbecue sandwiches! It was good food, but not as good as the smoked/bbq stuff we ate in Texarkana.


Dinner is never complete without something sweet for us. 
Love me some funnel cake!




5 comments:

Melissa Hernandez said...

I'm so jealous!! Me and my hubby once a year take a date night to REd Lobster for Crab. That's the closest thing we have to fresh crab, I want to try catching and eating fresh crab someday, that looks like a PARTY!!!

The Noble Steeds said...

Yeah, I'm jealous too!
Victoria's hair is getting so long! She is such a cutie.

Megan and Jonny said...

So can we cordially invite ourselves over next time you have crabs? I'm embarrassed to have lived here almost 3 years without eating a single crab. But yeah--those soft shell crabs look gross. And I'm sorry your water is nasty! Ours seems good, most of the time. Ugh! Texarkana water was SICK!!!

Brandon and Danna said...

We are going to the outer Banks area this week and are thinking about going crabbing, but with us camping we may just catch and release. I love crab and have never tried the blue crab, we'll just have to see.

Mom * Grandma W. said...

Loved the post...the pics are great!
We've looked at them 3 times and we're still 'not sure' about the crab sandwich.....yikes! Victoria looks as cute as ever and totally engaged in the food :)
Love, Mom (W.)