Thursday, April 16, 2009

A Week In The Life Of A Tourist

Late Tuesday night (April 7) Shawn’s mom and little sis flew into DC to spend a week with us! Carol and Brittany were so excited to see Victoria they forgot that Shawn and I were even there! We all spent that night at Shawn’s Cousin’s house (Thanks again Scott and Kate!) and the next morning we were off to Williamsburg Virginia and began our week as tourists!

{From 1699 to 1780, Williamsburg was the capital of Virginia. Here, Thomas Jefferson studied law, and later he, George Washington, Patrick Henry, and other patriot leaders plotted America’s freedom from Great Britain.} * Taken from website

It was an interesting trip…my mother-in-law was in Heaven the whole time as she was surrounded by history. And Brittany couldn’t handle all the shirtless men (a bit on the older side) jogging in Neon colored short shorts…I think she took pictures of every one of them! It was kind of hard for Shawn and I to really get into it having Victoria to entertain, but really the history is amazing! Sitting in original buildings where our founding fathers sat and walking paths that they walked was pretty incredible.

Friday morning Shawn, Carol, and Brittany headed off to Jamestown, while I stayed back at the hotel to give Victoria a chance to take a good nap and give her a break from being in the stroller. We headed back up to our house…Saturday those three took a mega bus up to New York City…I stayed home. Taking a baby to NY on a bus when it was our first time up there would have been a stressed out disaster! So Shawn, Carol, and Brittany walked around as much of NY as they could in the cold and rain! Then on Monday we were back in Washington DC to see the monuments (third time for Shawn and I now…although Shawn spent the whole time circling to find a new parking spot). We also saw a little of the American History Museum…we would have liked to see more but Shawn and I drove around for an hour looking for a place to park…then when we found someone who was leaving we had to wait behind them 10 minutes while they ate Sushi in their mini van…I was tempted to ask If I could join them! The American History museum had some amazing stuff…the original flag that flew which inspired the writing of our Star Spangled Banner, the original Ruby Slippers that Judy Garland wore in Wizard of Oz (I’m a fan of both, so for me that was one of the highlights of the trip)! Later that evening we enjoyed dinner with Shawn’s cousins at Five Guys…a burger place that people love around here…yeah it’s good, but I still think Inn-N-Out is better! Tuesday morning Carol and Brittany boarded their plane and we returned to our normal life, and I feel like I’ve been doing laundry for four days straight! …and it’s still not done!

{click to see larger view} While in Williamsburg we ate lunch at King's Arms Tavern... Best Salad I have EVER had. I still can't get over how delicious it was! 


Shawn and I - Williamsburg

Victoria checking out Alex...and picking on him ha ha!

Thanks for a fun week!

4 comments:

Kyle & Jessica Bass said...

It sounded like you guys had a lot of fun! Victoria is so cute!!

Jessica A said...

With my family in Virginia I have done EVERY single one of those things! I love it out there and am dying to go back. I am glad that Carol and Brittany got to go spend some time with you guys! And I also agree, I did not see what the big deal was about 5 guys.

The Mursets said...

Sounds like a lot of fun.

Rebecca said...

You were supposed to wait a couple of months to visit Williamsburg! Free place to stay!