Wednesday, October 22, 2008

SIDS

A couple of weeks ago my mom called and told me about an article she had read about a new study done on SIDS. For some reason I keep feeling like I should post a little something about it. Some of you may have already heard the article but anyway, the study was of 500 babies and their sleeping conditions...turns out that having a fan in the babies' room to help circulate the air helps reduce the risk of SIDS by 70%!!! Some articles said an open window while they sleep helps as well. The articles explained that some babies don't get enough oxygen when they sleep...or they breath in too much CO2, because of inclosed sleeping areas or blankets too close to their face, etc. My dad had a good way of explaining it... we all breath in Oxygen and out CO2, the bad stuff (which we all know) so it is like dry ice. When you put dry ice in water the fog will spill over the top and all around the ground because it is heavier than air, as is CO2. When you blow into the dry ice it will spread and clear away for a bit. So having a fan to circulate the air in your babies room when sleeping helps them breath better. One article sad that babies are at highest risk for SIDS between the ages of 2-4 months and during the winter months. It makes sense doesn't it... google "SIDS and fans" and read the articles!

5 comments:

Natelli Johnston said...

thanks for posting about it, that is really helpful info.

Melissa Hernandez said...

I had read a new article about this, and I thought the same thing too, it only makes sense. I was such a worrier when my little girl was that age, I think I woke up 20 times a night just to feel her chest to make sure she was still breathing. I remember when she was finally old enough to be out of the risk for SIDS- I finally started sleeping good. But, it really is nerve racking!!!

Walking with our feet and Loving with our hearts said...

I was very paranoid about SIDS with chase and maddy. I actually bought a monitor. Its called the Angel Care sleeping monitor. There is a pad that goes under the mattress and it detects your babies breathing and movement.
When Chase was a couple months old the alarm went off and he was as white as a sheet, I picked him up and he started breathing and his color came back. That monitor saved his life. It's also good because if someone takes your baby out of their crib, the alarm will go off. I loved it.
I still have it and will be keeping it forever, that monitor is a blessing. Let me know if you want to borrow it.

Thanks for the article, SIDS is very serious and some people really don't take it seriously.

Jeana said...

Your parents talked to us about this. It's so crazy and scary, but does make sense! We love you guys!

Sarah and Trent said...

Hello from Cousins Trent and Sarah. We were so excited to find your blog - congrats on your baby girl she is adorable!