Wednesday, November 12, 2008

There's Just Something About This Time of Year...

As we enter the holiday season and the weather gets colder, the coats and scarves come out, and heaters turn on, the same feeling comes every year...and I love it. As winter nears I am reminded of the moments Shawn and I spent together during our year and 4 months of dating. It's this time of year that memories come flooding in... Shawn on the other hand is usually preoccupied with ski thoughts! I thought I would share a few fun, brief facts and memories that you may not have known ... You can read the story of how Shawn and I met on the right side of our blog...



Our first date: Shawn took me out to Formosa, a Chinese restaurant in Logan, UT. After dinner we went to see Ladder 49...I think Shawn was a little nervous in the theatre because I am pretty sure he kept his puffy coat on during the movie (it was the middle of winter, but we were inside). Shawn was the one to hold my hand first, but I did help him out. I remember reading somewhere about "how to let someone know you want them to hold your hand" type thing ( I know, lame) but I kept my hand out and visible :) Our first date didn't end until 4am...I guess we both just didn't want it to end!



I made the first "move": That's right, I kissed Shawn first, but he definitely kissed back! (and that was on our first date :-/ while watching Napoleon Dynamite.



We've danced in the rain. Just the two of us, late at night, outside of Merrill Hall (where I was living on campus at USU).



I once told Shawn...and I still feel bad about this...that "I just don't see us getting married"...boy was I wrong, and I realized how wrong I was shortly after I had said it, when I looked up and saw the look on his face.



Shawn and I "broke up" or "took breaks to date other people" a number of times for a number of reasons. I would drive around in my car listening to the CD mix of "our songs" that Shawn had made me, and cry. It got to the point that the last couple of times we did take breaks, I would laugh a little because I knew we would be texting later that night, and back together within a few days...we couldn't live without each other and we both knew it!



We went "ring shopping" 5 months into the game (May of 2005) I was planning on an October wedding (I really wanted those cool looking Cinderella pumpkins for decor at the reception...) But Shawn didn't pop the question until January of 2006 and we were married in April. It couldn't have been more perfect.

From day one I never touched a door handle when I was with Shawn. He opened every door for me, even the car door...and still does (now with a baby carrier in hand it gets a Little tricky for him sometimes).








4 comments:

The Mursets said...

Shawn is the man!

Tyler

Jessica A said...

Dating an Atkinson boy is the best, although it is quite timely and there are bound to be a few dramatic breakups. We had 2. And we would go out on a date with someone else, and then get together later and watch the office. But we both know it is TOTALLY worth the wait as the Atkinson boys make some pretty fine husbands! Love the post!

Megan and Jonny said...

I secretly wanted an October wedding, too. Darn that school for interfering. Such a cute post--you guys are way more romantic than we are!

Sommer said...

I LOVE hearing cute dating stories, thank you for making this post! You guys have a really cute story.